Apple has announced a new update to its class-leading DAW for MacOS, LOGIC PRO X, to 10.4 with new virtual drummer profiles, smart tempo features and a host of new useful effects plug-ins for both tracking and mastering. Free for existing users.
Notable are is the new ChromaVerb algorithmic reverb, and Step FX which adds rhythmic multi-effect processing using 3 powerful step sequencers and an X/Y pad. Also, stand-alone Mellotron, and new horn and string section libraries.
The one annoyance for existing loyal Logic X users is that the update/upgrade will only be available to those running OS X 10.12 (“Sierra”) or higher; and those who chose to “freeze” their older Mac Pro towers on “El Capitan” will not be able to download the upgrade from the App Store. (Editorial Note: while it may be possible to install the new version onto a Sierra machine, then “copy over” to your El Capitan Mac, I don’t know of anybody who has yet tried this.)
The laundry list includes all of the following new features:
New in Logic Pro X 10.4
New Features and Enhancements
- Advanced tempo detection lets you automatically combine content together, regardless of their original tempo.
- Record audio without using a click or drag in an audio file and have the performance define your project tempo.
- Add any audio file and have it automatically conform to the project tempo.
- ChromaVerb is a sophisticated new algorithmic reverb with a colorful, interactive interface for creating rich acoustic spaces.
- Space Designer has a new design and a scalable, Retina interface.
- Step FX adds rhythmic multi-effect processing using 3 powerful step sequencers and an X/Y pad.
- Phat FX makes your tracks bigger and bolder using 9 effects that add warmth and punch to your sounds.
- The Vintage EQ Collection provides 3 accurate models of vintage analog EQs from the 1950s to the 1970s.
- Studio Strings and Studio Horns are deeply sampled, realistic ensemble instruments with custom articulation controls.
- Mellotron is now available as a standalone instrument plug-in.
- Retro Synth now offers 18 different filter models.
- 2 new Drummers play roots and jazz-influenced brush styles.
- 2 vintage brush kits for Drum Kit Designer .
- More than 800 new loops in a variety of instruments and genres.
- New Visions library for Alchemy adds 150 cinematic presets.
View complete changelog on Apple’s website: