KORG Announces OS Update for OASYS including the MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
NEW YORK, N.Y. — Korg is pleased to announce the release of system version 1.3 for Korg’s flagship OASYS synthesizer, delivering the next level of the sound-creating and performance potential of this acclaimed instrument. In addition to new features and enhancements, version 1.3 includes a new version of KARMA (2.1), and makes available two more optional expansions: the MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer, and the EXs-3 Brass & Woodwinds Expansion sample library.
OASYS System Version 1.3 Main features
– The new EXi MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM synthesizer takes a classic form of synthesis into new and uncharted territories. A demo version is included in OASYS system version 1.3.
– KARMA 2.1 adds support for User GEs, selectable quantization for Scene changes and Module triggering, enhancements to the Note Map feature, and many other new functions.
– The optional new EXs-3 Brass & Woodwinds Expansion Sample Library, available separately, provides over 700 Mbytes of expressive, natural-sounding brass and woodwind instruments.
– EXs expansion sample sets can now be loaded and unloaded immediately in OASYS memory, without restarting the OASYS, a great time-saver!
– EXs-1 and 2 are now loaded into RAM using a new, lossless compression technique. This yields a modest reduction in size: EXs-1 now uses 284 MB instead of 313 MB, and EXs-2 uses 464 MB instead of 503 MB. With 2 GB installed and both EXs loaded, this increases the available user sampling RAM by about 68 MB. YouÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll notice that this is much milder than the dramatic size reductions of mp3, or the PCM compression sometimes found in other synthesizers. There is a strong advantage over these other methods, however: the OASYS compression is completely lossless, and causes absolutely no degradation in audio quality whatsoever.
Note: This compression applies only to EXs samples, and not to RAM samples.
– Each EXi in a dual Program can be transposed separately for greater sonic flexibility.
– All Step Sequencers now provide separate “smoothing” parameters for attack and decay, allowing you to create more complex tonal changes.
– In Sequencer mode, a play button has been added to MIDI Event Edit, allowing you to play back the currently-edited measure while keeping the dialog box open.
– Other improvements and enhancements have been made to the operation of and stability of the Operating System.
OASYS software version 1.3 will be available in October 2007, as a free download from www.korguser.net. EXs-3 is expected to be available in mid-November.
[tags]Korg OASYS synthesizer, EXi MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM synthesizer, EXs-3 Brass and Woodwinds Expansion[/tags]