Jazzmutant Lemur Control Surface V2 Firmware Announced
Bordeaux, France — With the groundbreaking Lemur controller Jazzmutant have revolutionised the way in which performers can now interact with light, video and sound. The Lemur offers an unrivalled package of intuitive features beneath a futuristic multitouch-sensitive surface, and these have won it fans across the globe including the groundbreaking musicians Richie Hawtin, BjÃ¶rk and Ryuichi Sakamoto.
With the new version 2 firmware update Jazzmutant are taking the Lemur to another level of control, flexibility and intuitive operation. A host of new object features allows users to really interact with sound and manipulate it in real time like never before. Workflow improvements, scripting additions and other features allow the controller to be used better, faster and more in tune with some of the most popular software applications around with Ableton Live users, in particular, benefiting from some of the new features.
New v2 features in detail
* Breakpoint object – Offers total control of synthesiser or sampler envelopes with a multi-segment envelope editor to allow you to really get inside a sound, live on stage! Rather than assigning knobs to these sound shapers, jump right in and directly tweak an on-screen representation of the envelope. This familiar, visual interface allows you to see – and hear – exactly how you are changing the sound and you can easily add extra breakpoints with a simple double touch.
* Gesture object – This emulates a trackpad control with advanced gesture recognition and has three novel ways to interact with your sound. You can send different control messages to your computer simply by pinching, rotating or tracing your fingers. An example could be with surround sound: rotate to change the source position, pinch to change the source level, and trace to apply some filter to it. Total control in three steps!
* Alias – Now you can easily produce a copy or alias of a controller object that sends exactly the same information to your computer. This takes up less memory and is much less time consuming than setting up a new object with identical characteristics. Manipulating the original or its doppelganger can now control the same computer parameters but from different interface screens. Moving one will automatically update its “mirror image”.
* Tabbed Container – Containers are virtual panels that contain a selection of controls. Tabbed containers allow you to change the contents of this panel at the tap of a finger. Put all the controls you need for one part of your performance in one tab, then simply push the next tab to reveal a whole new bank with zero hassle. This feature allows you to greatly improve interface layouts.
* Mouse and keyboard control – Still finding yourself reaching over to the computer during your live show? Not any more! Now Lemur’s objects can be used to remotely control the mouse cursor or computer keyboard.
* Workflow improvements – Setting up your custom performance interface is a breeze with the improved and new-look Jazzeditor. Workflow improvements include the ability to simply drag objects from the new palette into the work area – any custom-made modules from your library will also appear here. It’s now no longer necessary to select a MIDI or OSC target for each parameter within an object – just choose a “parent” target and you’re done. There’s also a new ‘colour chooser’ to make your interfaces visually distinctive.
* Extended scripting abilities – A new multi-line script pane opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You can now modify the physical behaviour, appearance or size of an object in real time. Add a ball to a Multiball object by touching a pad, or zoom in on a fader for ultimate precision. These scripts can act locally or be received from the computer. For Ableton users that means it is now possible to receive clip names and colours and display them on the Lemur. Any changes in your Live set are automatically reflected on the Lemur. Now you can really put that computer behind you and concentrate on your performance!
The public beta of the v2 firmware update will launched at AES (October 3rd to 5th) with the full version released Q4 2008. The full update will be free.
About the Jazzmutant Lemur:
The Lemur is a top-of-the-range control surface for audio and media applications. Its major innovation is in its modular graphic interface concept and the exclusive multitouch sensor technology. The continuously growing palette of user-configurable graphic objects enables you to design made-to-measure interfaces by using the bundled JazzEditor. This endows the Lemur with the unique capacity to adapt to all of your projects and software applications; whether you need advanced control of sequencers, modular synthesisers, virtual instruments, VJ software, 3D animation tools or light control.
Further information from www.jazzmutant.com .
[tags]Jazzmutant Lemur controller, control surface for audio[/tags]